Pros and Cons of Facebook Groups vs Pages

facebook group vs facebook page

In my previous post I mentioned that the Artists for Japan fundraising initiative switched from a facebook group to a fan page. Now you may be asking yourself what the difference is between a group and a page and why we would risk losing our following by moving. At the time of the move the group had well over 700 members! Well, we weighed our options and the pros of using a facebook page happened to outweigh the disadvantages.

Let’s compare facebook groups to facebook pages from our experience:

Facebook Group

Facebook Group

Pros:

• In a group all members can directly add their friends to the group using a link in the right side bar. The group grew in leaps and bounds as each new member added their friends who they thought would like to donate art or bid on the art. It’s possible that our cause may not have gone viral as quickly if we had not used a group to start it out. In just 10 days we grew to over 700 members!
  • On a group wall the post with the most current comment appears at the top. When you go to a group wall, you are always in the thick of the action. It’s easy to see where the conversations are happening. It was fun to see some of the bidding wars and this group feature allowed us to watch the action as it happened. Without this feature we may not have been aware of much of the activity happening on the wall.
  • When you belong to a group you can add the group to your left side bar on your home page which makes it very easy to access. No searching around to find the group.

Cons:

• When you join a group you are automatically ‘signed up’ for email notifications for all posts and comments. This can be very overwhelming, especially when the group is growing in leaps and bounds and you aren’t sure how to turn off the emails. PS if this ever happens to you, it’s easy to remedy, just go to the group page, click the ‘edit settings’ button on the top right, and you can choose which if any emails are sent to you.
  • In a group all members can directly add their friends to the group using a link in the right side bar.This means that people can be added to the group without even knowing anything about it. If they aren’t sure why they are added, there’s a possibility that it could feel like spam.
  • Since the posts are constantly changing order (the post with the most current comment appears at the top) it is hard to keep track of posts and find the auction items when needed
  • It’s hard to find the group if you aren’t already a member
  • There are no links for the Photos so you have to click on a photo and then scroll from there
  • On a group the admins can only comment as themselves so it is difficult to show official posts
  • it’s difficult to share photos because there is no share link (you have to manually copy and paste the URL from your browser)
  • the share button for the group is at the very bottom of a group wall so you have to scroll down, waaaaay down, to find it

These points are only gathered from my personal and recent experiences and are not intended to give a full overview of facebook groups. To read more about how groups work and find out if a group is right for you, read this informative article (including a video) from Mashable.com: New Facebook Groups.

Facebook Page

Facebook Page Banner

Pros:

• Pages are public and easier to promote.
  • You can set up a short URL for your page such as ours: http://facebook.com/artistsforjapan
  • You can create photo albums
  • You can toggle from Top Posts to Recent Posts
  • There are quick links in the left side bar for Info, Photos, Notes, Events
  • Admins can comment as the page profile or as their personal profile thus distinguishing official wall posts from personal ones
  • With new pages you can now receive notifications for page activity!
  • Non-admins will NOT receive emails. Yahoo! (and for the admins of a page it is easy to turn off notifications, just go to edit page and click on Your Settings
  • When you login as a page admin, you can spread the love and create awareness for your page by
    • ‘liking’ other pages as your page profile
    • comment on other facebook pages as your page profile
  • There is a share link for every photo so it’s easier to post the art for auction on your personal profile
  • You can make a profile banner for a Page (you just can’t control the order of the pics like you can on your personal profile)

Cons:

• It will take longer to get established since the page will grow organically as people must opt in manually by clicking the ‘like’ button
  • Facebook took away the ‘suggest to friends’ link on pages, so it’s not as easy as it used to be to promote a facebook page

I’d love to hear your thoughts. These observations are from my experience only, so please let me know what your experience has been and if you have anything to add. Thanks!

Tags: , , , , ,

Filed under: Marketing, Tips.

16 Responses to “Pros and Cons of Facebook Groups vs Pages”

1. Frithjof says:

Artists For Japan was my first bigger Group project> Because it grew so quick I found it hard to keep up.
    There are more options to customize Pages and it’s easier to present in a easy to use manner.

Both options offer the possibility to connect with others without sharing your personal information.

Thanks Kendra! I hope you don’t mind if I share your blog post on my Facebook page
    Frithjof

• Kendra says:

Hi Frithjof! Thanks for replying and I agree that it was hard to keep up. All of the organizers such as yourself amazed me with the auction, especially at the end when it was part live and you had to update all the online entries. Wow!

Thanks for adding to my post and I would be honoured if you shared it on your page. Thank you!
      Kendra

2. Teresa says:

Excellent post! Thank you for summarizing this experience succinctly! These are important differences that are good to know before launching a new campaign.

I, for one, found there was just too much noise on the group and opted out within the first day. I’ve never much liked being signed up for anything without my consent. :-)

Off to like the new Page right now…

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~Teresa~

• Kendra says:

Hi Theresa, Thanks for commenting!

I have to admit that I actually left the group the first day too. I was wondering where all those emails were coming from and I didn’t know how I ended up on the group, so I ‘un-joined’ myself (even though that’s not a word).

The next day I realised what the group was actually about and I asked to rejoin, I edited my settings so that I wouldn’t receive any emails, and I uploaded a piece of art for the auction.

I’m really happy that the group has moved to a page now. It’s a lot more user friendly and appropriate for what we are trying to achieve.

Thanks for ‘liking’ the new page! You rock! :)

Kendra

3. Sea says:

I don’t think either is a perfect option and unfortunately you need to make a choice when you don’t really know the facts. If you switch from one to another you can’t just take your friends or fans with you, or at least I haven’t found a way. But then I just found an online shop on Facebook and I didn’t think that was possible either.

It remains to be seen if a page can create the same excitement as a group and we will find that out during the next auction closing May 2nd.

This article has lifted the fog a little and for that I’m exceedingly grateful. I’m still thinking it is better to do it the way you did, starting with a group and then switching to a page when you have a good base. So you maybe you did right without understanding that you were.

I would like to know if there is a way to allow people to see photos and yet prevent them from downloading them in either a group or a page because as artists and writers copyright is important and if people freely download your work it is taking money straight out of your pocket and food off the table.

Unfortunately the operators of Facebook make decisions based on what makes them the most $ and gets the largest market share not what is convenient for the user. I suppose you can’t blame them for that.

• Kendra says:

Thanks for commenting, and you have a lot of good points.

I agree that it’s very difficult to choose and even when you read the definition of what each feature does it’s really hard to know exactly how it behaves until you are using it. It’s too bad that it’s not easier to bring your friends or fans with you, that’s for sure, but I suppose that would cause it’s own kind of confusion too.

I don’t think we’ll see the same kind of growth or frenzy on the page that we did with the group (at first), but I think that the page will have other advantages such as a higher quality audience, and what I mean by that is that each person on the page chose to be there and has an interest in what we are doing as opposed to hundreds of people who were added to our group by one of their friends. And when people are interested, they will promote our page on their profile, blogs, websites, and in the news. It will really grow as the word gets out.

No, there isn’t a way to prevent people from downloading your photos from your group or page. In my opinion, the best thing you can do is to upload small (ie 400x600px) low quality images that are just nice enough to look good on screen, but they turn to pixelated mush if you try to enlarge it or print it out.

The good news is that facebook automatically optimizes your photos for web use so (as long as you don’t click the higher quality button when uploading) then your uploaded pictures will be at screen resolution.

I think that the benefits of having your pictures online far outweigh the risk that someone might download them. You can get a lot more exposure from facebook that you can from a photo album at your art studio. :)

Here are some articles on this issue:

“The Good and Bad of Facebook’s Photography Service”
      by Virtual Photography

“The Problem with Stealing” by Robert Genn

“Signing your Work” by Robert Genn, Quote from Jennifer Bellinger:
      “For copyright protection purposes signing the front makes it easily visible to would-be copyists”

“How to Use Facebook to Promote your Photography Business” (can also be applied to art)
      by Virtual Photography

Kendra

4. It will take a few days for it to go off completely.
    Some spray tans made me look like a walking carat stick.
    That is why we have come up with this list of rules to obey
    when you are looking to apply leather tan to yourself.
    Despite this, sunbathing is becoming very unpopular
    because of its extreme side-effects. Take the Certification Exam: In addition to be asked questions
    about the practice and precautions involved with airbrush tanning application, you may be asked about U.
    Taking care of any shaving needs at least two days ahead generally gives small cuts enough time
    to heal before you apply tanning spray. With a roll-on product, it is easier to ensure
    proper distribution, so a lot of people prefer this type
    of option. According to Sky News the Debenhams chain in the UK ‘saw
    fake tan flying off the shelves with sales up 219% compared with the same day last year.
    The big issues with the majority of these is that they can coagulate and then block
    the nozzle of the spray tan gun. This product should be available at Harris Teeter in Arlington and Safeway in Alexandria.

Look into my page :: self tanning lotion

5. Keep in mind that the key to social media engagement authenticity.

Best Feature: Tweet, Reply, Retweet and DM right from your inbox.
    Since businesses are noticing this, you should take note as well.
    You want people talking about your brand and spreading the word.
    Manage your Facebook, Twitter, Google accounts from one powerful and comprehensive area.
    It is also effective in making sure that you know what is going on within the industry among your colleagues and within the industry.
    With a link to the company’s product blog in their signature, the
    technicians were allowed to post personal projects on company time.

As they offered advice  to members of the forum and updated their progress
    with pictures, the company was getting free publicity and the the technicians were motivated to work on the manager’s project.
    You should have a mailing list if you’ve
    marketed for awhile now. Facebook – This is the new leader after passing
    My – Space.

Feel free to visit my web site … social media management

6. But, to a trained cost accountant, it is a quick road map to
    help management analyze the business and
    zero in on areas for improvement. In a photography business in particular, here are a number of items that are assets to be listed for your business.
    Other coins were surmised to have been issued by employers, noblemen and
    merchants for their private uses.

Feel free to surf to my web-site; city of Boca Raton CPAt

7. Without these criminal record checks, no one officially allows the intending
    couple to start out dating. Television advertising has morphed into an art form over the
    years, and continues to be the most effective, expensive, and ultimately the most popular with both clients and the general public.

What are the problems that individual has that you can solve.

Give your boss or colleagues plenty of time to
    ask questions. Whether you are a large company or a small startup, you can count
    on social media to gain access to millions of people around the globe.

Very first thing to accomplish is for you to definitely
    signup your music group or your music to a executing rights
    organization, electronic licensor and also have the connection with music biz attorney.
    This will help you to get a better exposure and also your branding approach will be more professional and effective.
    binary domain reviews – Article Source: domain is a perfect game that
    need you have a try. Be creative with your content and try to
    be different. Anything that you write can be used against
    you in a courtroom, so if talking about your competition, or other people, never speak of them in a negative light where you could be held liable for what you say.

My blog post :: social media marketing university complaints

8. For example, create a “fan” page for your invention on Facebook, which allows you to connect your product with your
    network of friends and family. There is no need to vie for
    space in news sites because the people can see every post on their feed and the message is sent verbatim.
    The second way of getting high paying social media clients is to simply work your
    local businesses and present yourself as the person that will help them with their social media marketing
    for a fee. One great way of generating a buzz for your book is to
    giveaway a chapter or so away for free. For more information on how to grow your business
    check. I have to confess that I was a little hesitant when I
    found out that they were using a Manager themselves because.
    The internet is probably the largest collective resource of
    knowledge we will ever have. Outsourcing corporate
    event designing has its own advantages and though there is a service fee, the final net profit of time and money saved can definitely
    even out money wise. Page – Lever – The Page – Lever provides comprehensive Facebook
    Analytics that outlines profiles of people that come and leave your fan base as well as determines what content
    attracts your audience and keeps them posted. The internet-marketing services are very necessary for the creation of your brand
    identity and for achieving recognition among prospects.

my web page … delray beach social media marketing packages

9. The case for RFID is well documented within specific
    business scenarios, but the benefit to the consumer are
    still little known apart from Londoners with their Oyster
    cards and Parisians with their Navigo cards.
    s seating and that allows for partial submersion into the waters, so the angler
    can steer around a limited area easily and also have access to an air chamber.
    While these are the major things represented on the control board, you unit may
    have additional items represented, including surface clutter, structure, second returns and thermoclines.

Here is my web-site: deck box storage bench

10. He surveyed those scanty-clad sunbathers and sea bathers
    who barefooted their day-stay paraphernalia to and from the beach.
    This makes it possible to ensure that the door is harder to
    disengage from the frame. The second thing that’s helpful
    to know about French door refrigerators is that they come
    available with some of the greatest number of special features of
    any type of refrigerator on the market.

Visit my web site used dock storage box

11. This will improve customer satisfaction and also save you money on long distance
    customer service phone calls. They are tasked with bringing order to your life in particular and society in general.
    Therefore, most business owners stress on the fact that the website should be eye-catching and reflect the company’s USP and at the same time, should be able to fill
    up the sales funnel. Nowadays, with the number and diversity of social media and networking sites available on the Internet,
    one of the best ways to promote your business, whatever it may be, is through the medium of social
    media marketing blogs. Thus far the site has received considerable
    press and, though figures on recent sign ups and current user numbers are not yet available, it is
    thought that the network has enjoyed relative success thus
    far. A social media plan will accommodate Digging it, Twittering, Blogging,
    Facebooking, mixing, mashing, RSS feeding and
    creating it Delicious. I contact each and every person who contacted me for a free consultation. Unless you want your exact location our
    your smart phone’s information displayed whenever you share an image on a social
    media website, you need to strip the EXIF data from your
    images. According to Canadian social media statistics,
    word of mouth in present time spreads news faster than mass media.
    As healthcare staff and clinicians increasingly expect
    to be able to find out about the latest advances online, they also hope
    for them to be closely integrated with the systems they use to manage their clinical workflow, so that they can achieve far better coordination between the
    many departments and individuals given responsibility for an individual patient’s care and treatment.

my web blog – marketing delray beach fl

12. Finasteride on the other hand has been approved by Food and Drug Administration to treat enlargement of prostate.

It is important to always make sure that your hair is well maintained
    by ensuring that the hair is kept clean. The step-by-step
    method of using castor oil for hair loss treatment:

My blog – hair Growth Products for women vitamins

13. nnn pro says:

The more expensive ones may not let debris into the gutter but the debris will
    accumulate on top of the gutter guard to the point that after a couple of years the debris has to
    be physically removed. An actual restaurant –
    or even a casual cafe – is a way to keep finances in order and ensure
    long-term profitability, said Ryan Scott, who
    owns the 3-Sum Eats food truck and is planning to open a cafe in San Francisco’s
    West Portal neighborhood. A HANDOUT IS ALSO
    AVAILABLE AT THE MEETING ADJACENT TO THE AGENDA.
    Work: The work is said to be done when force acting on a
    body causes it to move. The Section 8 applicant
    family has the option to rent an above-average unit (or a larger unit) and pay the difference in rent.

The property in question must meet HUD Housing Quality Standards and
    pass a local Public Housing Authority inspection before a contract is executed between the Housing Authority and Landlord.
    Take a position from creating chances are you may be considering by
    making use of to examine ones eating venue.
    A big advantage of taking a limo is that it is your individual transportation.
    This is the care taken by our society of the useless, non-paying
    unemployed’whether they are too sick, too old, too hobbled, too addled or addicted, they are a living demonstration of what can happen to you.
    Syndicating real estate deals is about the fastest way to make money in a downturn economy because it allows you to spread the risk,
    minimise your exposure and use other people’s money to make money.

Here is my weblog … nnn pro